Server Watchdog (11/23/13)

If it's official, it's found right here.

Server Watchdog (11/23/13)

Postby MSuLL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Our dear servers have been a little... unstable... over the past year. Most commonly, the process falls over without actually exiting, which makes the auto-restart mechanism not notice that something has broken. Today I've implemented a robust checking mechanism that will hopefully solve that problem once and for all!

Every 10 seconds, both servers are checked to see if they are still online and capable of hosting players. If either is found not to be working, they are given a minute grace period (which accounts for things like the server changing maps). After this grace period expires, if the server is still found to be having issues, it is remotely logged in to and restarted.

What this means for players:
The servers won't be down anymore... ever! (I hope...)

What this means for admins:
Making changes to the servers will require a bit of extra care, because if you take them down and then work on the config files, etc, then the watchdog will attempt to boot them back up for you automatically. Instead, stage your files and config changes, then reboot once you've got everything where you want it. That way you won't have to fight with the watchdog.

Please reply here if you see any issues or unexpected behavior. Thanks!
This signiture is 100% awesome and 100% low~tide's creation. That's 200%, fool!

[wH]MSuLL - Head Administrator - WhartHog's PigPen
WhartHog's PigPen UT Server - 208.71.112.196:7777 - Click Here To Play NOW!
MSuLL
In-House Nerd

Re: Server Watchdog (11/23/13)

Postby xero » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise! Great to hear things are getting some attention Sull. The servers missed you tremendously and welcome back. In playing today I did notice the server was much more stable, so the watchdog restart wasn't necessary. Actually played a bunch of maps today without a crash, so whatever you did, thank you very much sir.
xero
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby MSuLL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:56 pm

xero wrote:Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise! Great to hear things are getting some attention Sull. The servers missed you tremendously and welcome back. In playing today I did notice the server was much more stable, so the watchdog restart wasn't necessary. Actually played a bunch of maps today without a crash, so whatever you did, thank you very much sir.

All luck, I didn't change any server settings or config, all I did was add the watchdog to check for crashes. But still... good deal!

MSuLL
In-House Nerd

Postby Mikolaj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I worry this not fix the problem, both servers since few hours down :(
Attachments
servers down.JPG
Mikolaj
Elite WhartHog Member

Postby MSuLL » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Usually the UT server process is what dies (which my watchdog can fix), but in this case the operating system itself is down, which I do not control. We're waiting on the host to restart the box.

MSuLL
In-House Nerd

Postby Mikolaj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 am

[quote="MSuLL"]Usually the UT server process is what dies (which my watchdog can fix), but in this case the operating system itself is down, which I do not control. We're waiting on the host to restart the box.[/quote]

Roger that
Mikolaj
Elite WhartHog Member

Postby xero » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:14 am

MSuLL wrote:
> Usually the UT server process is what dies (which my watchdog can fix), but in this
> case the operating system itself is down, which I do not control. We're waiting
> on the host to restart the box.

Maybe they got lost on the way to the server room?!
xero
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby <3MUCH> » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:51 am

[quote="xero"]MSuLL wrote:
> Usually the UT server process is what dies (which my watchdog can fix), but in this
> case the operating system itself is down, which I do not control. We're waiting
> on the host to restart the box.

Maybe they got lost on the way to the server room?![/quote]

Lol...A few indian IT techs were found wandering i the vicinity..
<3MUCH>
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby Alexei » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 pm

MSuLL wrote:Our dear servers have been a little... unstable... over the past year. Most commonly, the process falls over without actually exiting, which makes the auto-restart mechanism not notice that something has broken. Today I've implemented a robust checking mechanism that will hopefully solve that problem once and for all!

Every 10 seconds, both servers are checked to see if they are still online and capable of hosting players. If either is found not to be working, they are given a minute grace period (which accounts for things like the server changing maps). After this grace period expires, if the server is still found to be having issues, it is remotely logged in to and restarted.

What this means for players:
The servers won't be down anymore... ever! (I hope...)

What this means for admins:
Making changes to the servers will require a bit of extra care, because if you take them down and then work on the config files, etc, then the watchdog will attempt to boot them back up for you automatically. Instead, stage your files and config changes, then reboot once you've got everything where you want it. That way you won't have to fight with the watchdog.

Please reply here if you see any issues or unexpected behavior. Thanks!

Can we make a private testing server that will just mirror everything from the other two (except of course port) and could be brought up to test config changes for admins? That way there's a testing environment for changes in case things go poorly...
If a man is not a communist at 20, he has no heart, but if he is still a communist at 40, he has no head.
Alexei
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby MSuLL » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 am

Alexei wrote:Can we make a private testing server that will just mirror everything from the other two (except of course port) and could be brought up to test config changes for admins? That way there's a testing environment for changes in case things go poorly...

I don't have any resources around right now to be able to do that, but if nothing else, we do at least have two servers, so having one bork for a day isn't the end of the world.

MSuLL
In-House Nerd

Return to News